Neighbours music

Neighbours music

Postby Screencomposer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:59 am

Hi folks.

My name is Garry Hardman and I'm a composer living in Sydney Australia. I had the privilege of writing some libraries of music , along with co-composers Brian Beamish and Peter Benson, back in the late 80's for use by Grundys in their Soap "Neighbours". It was a lot of fun, but also hard in a way, because we didn't know how storylines would develop in future episodes, so we had to write a lot of music in various moods without knowing how it would fit those future episodes.

If anyone has any questions on music from the show during the mid/late 80's, I'll be more than pleased to try and answer them. Grundys placed a lot of importance in the musical side of their productions, which made a pleasant change to some other Production Companies that just used music to "fill holes" and give some credence to an otherwise mundane scene.

Best wishes,
Garry
Screencomposer

Re: Neighbours music

Postby RamsayStreet » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks Garry and welcome to the board!

Did you have any involvement in the piano versions of the theme that were used in the early days?
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Screencomposer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:43 am

Hi Ramsay Street, (sorry, I don't know your name).
No, I was never asked to do any variations of the theme. I had two other writing partners at the time, Brian Beamish and Peter Benson and we only wrote incidental tracks for the series. We did 3 libraries libraries together, one being for another Grundy serial called Richmond Hill. I was commissioned later on to do another library for Neighbours, which I did on my own. They were fun days. I'm based in Sydney, as is Brian. Peter lives in Brisbane which is the capital of Queensland. So getting together to write the Neighbours music was a bit of a feat. We recorded the orchestral music in Brisbane with the Queensland Symphony Orchestra. Then the music was sent down to Melbourne where the show was put together.

Warren Pearson was the music editor in those days. I felt sorry for Warren because he had to spool through dozens of tapes to find tracks he needed. Grundys wouldn't buy him a digital tape machine which had not long come out and each track could be accessed with an i.d. number. So much quicker. I ended up putting the music on cds for him and that made his life easier.

Getting back to your question regarding piano versions, as I said, we didn't do piano versions of the theme, but we did do quite a number of solo piano pieces. Brian was especially good at that. He wrote some lovely piano tracks.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have about the music I wrote in the early days of the show.

Best wishes,
Garry
Screencomposer

Postby Gerry » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi Garry.

Just thinking about the tracks you composed, I just wondered if it was you who composed the early tracks for the 1985 season like the sad theme tune and when Danny met Max in his bedsit for the first time in Ep. 44? and when Scott told Jim that he and Charlene were getting married and he wasn't pleased.

I've always loved the pieces you, Brian and Peter made and the Bruce Rowland tracks as I grew up with them!
Gerry

Postby Screencomposer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 am

Hi Gerry.
I was commissioned by Grundys to do a couple of libraries of various music cues for Neighbours, but that wasn't until 1987. I called on Brian and Peter to contribute some ideas as I was scoring a few other projects at that time. We wrote two albums worth of music which was given to Warren Pearson, who was the then music editor. I very rarely got to see any finished episodes, so I never knew what was being used from our libraries. Grundys asked me again in 1988 to do another album's worth of music for Neighbours but on a much smaller budget, which meant I was unable to use an orchestra, nor Brian and Peter.
For the original 2 libraries we were able to use the Queensland Symphony Orchestra for a number of cues, which was great. Brian wrote a lovely piano piece, which we called "Tender Moments". We were able to add strings etc. to get a fuller version as well as have a solo piano track. That piece of music is one of my favourites, even to this day. It might be nice to have that up on Youtube. Who knows...
My best wishes Gerry.
Screencomposer

Return to Neighbours Talk