Neighbours VS Time Travel

Neighbours VS Time Travel

Postby Shamrock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLrNBRrNVl0

This is fantastic. An absolute love letter to the show's history.

I literally laughed out loud at the reference to the Fun Bus.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Re: Neighbours VS Time Travel

Postby Davestar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Yes, the parts with current Paul and young Paul were well done
Davestar

Postby RamsayStreet » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:43 am

Yes, I loved seeing Paul standing in the old Lassiter’s Complex and in the Robinson kitchen, matching the 1985/86 quality was a great way of making the green screen look more real.

The little touches were great too, like the time travel device being from Jack Lassiter and Kratz’ Cruises.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Shamrock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:49 pm

The attention to detail is amazing. Even down to the little references like Elle and Riley.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby Shamrock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:52 pm

Also, great drama it may have provided at the time, but killing Stingray really was one of the biggest mistakes in the show's history. There's no doubt he'd have returned by now and the show would be richer for it.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby RamsayStreet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:04 am

Shamrock wrote:The attention to detail is amazing. Even down to the little references like Elle and Riley.

I agree, Susan’s old piano back in Number 28, them trying to re-create the old wooden unit by the door (pre-2005) using the one that used to be in Number 30 as well as trying to re-create the old look of the fireplace using the old fireplace of Number 32.

There was also a campervan parked in the driveway of Number 24, suggesting Harold is around. It also seems that Cheryl’s still alive if the pub is still named after her. They missed a trick not making Colette Mann, Cheryl.

My favourite part was what I can only describe as the Martin departure/Scully arrival music playing as we saw Robinson Street.

Poor Stingray, hope they sort that aneurysm out.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 am

I could take or leave Stingray.

Loved seeing dear ol' Philip Martin back on Ramsay Street - and i loved the Phillipa Martinez stuff, had forgotten about his career as a romance novelist!

Kratz Cruises - You'll Never Want to Come Home! is the standout in-joke to me... Loved it!
Mark

Postby RamsayStreet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 am

Shamrock wrote:Also, great drama it may have provided at the time, but killing Stingray really was one of the biggest mistakes in the show's history. There's no doubt he'd have returned by now and the show would be richer for it.

True, but then I guess they couldn’t have anticipated the success of all the other Timmins kids outside of the show instead of Ben.

Ric P’s stint as EP was so odd, I don’t know how a Producer can start out so well and literally destroy everything they built before they left. I’d love to know what truly happened in 2004/2005, there had to be network involvement. Reading Luke Devenish’s 2006 interview back now, what seemed like brilliance at the time seems like desperation, I don’t know if he was trying to sell us the show or tell us that there were other powers at work. It really does read like the story team were insane, the description of Elle compared to the character she became during Susan Bower’s tenure, one of the best things she did was get Pippa to stay that extra year.

http://perfectblend.net/features/interv ... enish2.htm

RamsayStreet

Postby Shamrock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 am

It's so funny you brought that up because as soon as I remembered about the Fun Bus, I had to reread the interview in all its iconic glory. Probably one of the site's most memorable moments. :mrs:

Yes, you're right, it's defensive to the point of ridiculousness. It's probably a case of both in terms of responsibility. I have no doubt though that the story team really did relish that era, silly as it all got. I'm sure there is fun and enjoyment at literally coming up with 'out there' twists and making them happen. Despite it all, the show never lost its essential Neighbours charm which, funnily enough it did under Bower's low key era. There's also no doubt in my mind that Ten were pushing them to one-up themselves in those dramatic stakes because that's what was popular at the time and the story team had no choice to fall in line.

And yes, Susan Bower's greatest contribution to the show was cementing Elle's character in those latter years, though I guess the transformation started under the old team. Those early-to-mid 2007 months where she plotted Paul's downfall to teach him a lesson were stellar. The funny thing is those months were probably already plotted at the time this interview took place and no doubt heavily reworked before they were shot. The bones of what we received are there in the interview: the con artists, Janelle's big love, etc., but I'm sure the execution was entirely different.

Stingray was never a fave of mine and I was glad to be rid by the end, but Ben Nicholas just has a real charm and presence that the show really struggles to find in their young male actors. I actually love the idea of Stingray in the show in 2017 interacting with the likes of Sonya, or Terese or Sheila.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby Shamrock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 pm

This series is such a joy.

Sonya as Piranha is so perfect I'm shocked they haven't introduced a villainous cousin with that nickname.

Spilt Milk. :mrs:

Phil and Susan's break-up referencing the amazing scene outside Number 28.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Next

Return to Neighbours Talk