Episodes 7701-7705 (Block 1541)

Episodes 7701-7705 (Block 1541)

Postby Shamrock » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm

Discuss.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Re: Episodes 7701-7705 (Block 1541)

Postby Shamrock » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm so thrilled that Shane is such a fun character. I can't remember the last time a 'dad' character as part of a new family was one of the highlights but we're going back a good decade. Maybe even as far as Joe Scully?

I have no idea where they're going with this wellness centre unless it's a way to trot in troubled youths/families.
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby Gj81 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Yea, probably Joe. He has been good compared to the other dads we've has since then.

And Hamish, I really hope he's found out sooner rather than later.
Gj81

Postby RamsayStreet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Shamrock wrote:I'm so thrilled that Shane is such a fun character. I can't remember the last time a 'dad' character as part of a new family was one of the highlights but we're going back a good decade. Maybe even as far as Joe Scully?

Yes, probably Joe, who Shane reminds me of, particularly the relationship with Karl.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Shamrock » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Which is a pretty embarrassing row of uninteresting at best, and dud at worst, fathers. I know older male characters are historically quite hard to get right in soap opera in general but Neighbours really has had a terrible run of them. It helps that the actor brings a lot to screen but he's a better conceived character in general
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby RamsayStreet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Shamrock wrote:Which is a pretty embarrassing row of uninteresting at best, and dud at worst, fathers. I know older male characters are historically quite hard to get right in soap opera in general but Neighbours really has had a terrible run of them. It helps that the actor brings a lot to screen but he's a better conceived character in general

I don’t neccessarily think Neighbours are bad at them, but often the fathers are written as dud fathers, however you do get the occasional Michael Williams who was just a dud character.

Thinking about it, I’ve forgotten Max Hoyland who was actually a pretty good Dad character who didn’t know how to be a single Dad. That said, he sucked the life out of Steph, he worked much better as a single Dad and a moral compass for Izzy.

If you look back, I’d say every regular Dad character up to Joe Scully (Jim, Max Ramsay, Tom (although wasn’t as good as Max in what I’ve seen), Des, Harold, Doug, Joe Mangel, Lou, Phil, Benito, Karl, Joe Scully) was pretty spot on, Evan didn’t work, Max Hoyland lost his USP when he got together with Steph. Steve worked better with Rebecca than Miranda. Michael Williams was awful. Brad never quite worked, Matt was dull.

Gary reminds me of Tom Ramsay, he works well but not as well as Shane does. I completely forgot him as a Dad character because Sheila parents Xanthe more.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Gj81 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:04 am

Yeaa Max and Steph were just never the right person for each other. Steph went downhill after the writers pushed them together. Max was definitely better off as a single parent.

Evan and Matt were just boring. Dull and uninspired.

And the less said about Michael the better.

Most of the problem is probably down to the writers writing boring, uninspired plots then the actors themselves.
Gj81

Postby Shamrock » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:51 pm

I completely forgot about Max but then again I was never the biggest fan of him or the effect he had on Steph as you've both said. That said, he was definitely a stronger character than those that followed.

Gary is actually pretty good too. I must admit being one of those who wondered why they were bothering to make him a regular but I'm glad they did. He and Shane run rings round Brad and Matt.

Michael Williams must surely be one of the top ten worst regulars. :mrs:
Shamrock
Site Admin

Postby RamsayStreet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Shamrock wrote:I completely forgot about Max but then again I was never the biggest fan of him or the effect he had on Steph as you've both said. That said, he was definitely a stronger character than those that followed.

Gary is actually pretty good too. I must admit being one of those who wondered why they were bothering to make him a regular but I'm glad they did. He and Shane run rings round Brad and Matt.

Michael Williams must surely be one of the top ten worst regulars. :mrs:

Quite possibly as Ben & Nell would rate higher these days, then if you took out the other child characters...

http://perfectblend.net/interactive/ten9171.htm

RamsayStreet

Return to Neighbours Talk