Neighbours could be in trouble

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Shamrock » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 pm

Also we have no idea how much of this is Fremantle demand OR Viacom trying to lowball them, or even a bit of both.
User avatar
Shamrock
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16680
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 am

It sounds like you guys know something I don't :?:
User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby RamsayStreet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:19 am

EdwardSkylover wrote:It sounds like you guys know something I don't :?:


No, we don't, we're just taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
User avatar
RamsayStreet
 
Posts: 21920
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 am

RamsayStreet wrote:No, we don't, we're just taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.


I suppose, but regardless of how lucrative Hollyoaks is, I don't see how that can have a massive cast of 60 to Neighbours 20 and be a more viable product just because of the demographic?
User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby RamsayStreet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 am

EdwardSkylover wrote:
RamsayStreet wrote:No, we don't, we're just taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.


I suppose, but regardless of how lucrative Hollyoaks is, I don't see how that can have a massive cast of 60 to Neighbours 20 and be a more viable product just because of the demographic?


They don't have to rent a street. I believe they also film single camera which I assume is cheaper.

Those 60 appear in considerably less episodes per year than Neighbours 20, so given they'd be paid by episode, it's probably not more expensive.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
User avatar
RamsayStreet
 
Posts: 21920
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Shamrock » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 am

That's how commercial television works. Networks make money from advertising and if a show has a very youthful demographic, advertising companies will want their products to be advertised on that show. So a channel can charge more money for them to do so.

Hollyoaks has a much higher budget in general though (as do all British soaps) so it's not a like for like situation. Channel 4 invest a lot more into the show than Neighbours ever have or will receive because our television climate is so, so different to Australia's. It's really not comparable. I doubt even the biggest hits on Australian TV come anywhere near the kind of budgets we invest in our dramas.
User avatar
Shamrock
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16680
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Shamrock » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 am

RamsayStreet wrote:
EdwardSkylover wrote:
RamsayStreet wrote:No, we don't, we're just taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture.


I suppose, but regardless of how lucrative Hollyoaks is, I don't see how that can have a massive cast of 60 to Neighbours 20 and be a more viable product just because of the demographic?


They don't have to rent a street. I believe they also film single camera which I assume is cheaper.

Those 60 appear in considerably less episodes per year than Neighbours 20, so given they'd be paid by episode, it's probably not more expensive.


This is also very true. Hollyoaks cast are contracted to X episodes per year, some as low as 30 or 40. Very few are making serious money from their roles - though once again it's a different landscape. They're paid a damn sight more than Neighbours cast newcomers I'm sure.
User avatar
Shamrock
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16680
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:02 am

Shamrock wrote:Hollyoaks has a much higher budget in general though (as do all British soaps) so it's not a like for like situation. Channel 4 invest a lot more into the show than Neighbours ever have or will receive because our television climate is so, so different to Australia's. It's really not comparable. I doubt even the biggest hits on Australian TV come anywhere near the kind of budgets we invest in our dramas.


I don't see how it makes a difference. I do from a demographic point of view but not the UK/Aus thing as Neighbours only continues because of the UK, so it's basically a UK show based in Australia now. If HO is receiving investment it must be making a profit, likewise as Neighbs is basically a C5 show I don't see why it can't receive the same kind of investment unless the demographic is something that holds it back, as I know it attracts a lot of older viewers rather than younger ones.
User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby DahlTheGalah » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:34 am

I really don't see it getting to the point where the show is axed, I mean it is the longest running series on Australian TV & very iconic. I also can't believe Channel 5 would want to lose it as the ratings are not bad, so I think it is all either a big publicity stunt or Channel 5's owners are just trying to get it a bit cheaper, I expect it will all be resolved soon & even if Fremantle cannot agree a deal with Channel 5 then I'm sure another channel in the UK would pick it up, maybe even ITV, after all Channel 5 poached Home & Away from them...
User avatar
DahlTheGalah
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm
Location: St Paul's Bay Malta

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:39 am

As has been said though, ITV has The Chase which has excellent ratings so where would Neighbours go on it. I really only see Channel 4 being a fit. Don't know what Callum or Conor think about that...?
User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Neighbours Talk