Neighbours could be in trouble

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 pm

User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Shamrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:59 pm

It's no surprise that Viacom don't 'get' the appeal of the show. It's very hard to pigeonhole.

There was no doubt in my mind last year, during that terrible few months where the show was besieged with Instagram references, had a tweeny vibe, began casting non-actors with youthful social media followings and a repeat airing on Nickelodeon of all things, that Viacom were scratching their heads and trying to work the show out - or at least work out what they wanted it to be.

As a whole, it's a lot more British in its writing despite its glossy, Aussie veneer and for an American company like Viacom, it must seem a bit like an anomaly.
User avatar
Shamrock
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16641
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby RamsayStreet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Shamrock wrote:It's no surprise that Viacom don't 'get' the appeal of the show. It's very hard to pigeonhole.

There was no doubt in my mind last year, during that terrible few months where the show was besieged with Instagram references, had a tweeny vibe, began casting non-actors with youthful social media followings and a repeat airing on Nickelodeon of all things, that Viacom were scratching their heads and trying to work the show out - or at least work out what they wanted it to be.

As a whole, it's a lot more British in its writing despite its glossy, Aussie veneer and for an American company like Viacom, it must seem a bit like an anomaly.


I think that's why they're promoting Adele's visit so much, if an International artist like her visits Ramsay Street then Viacom are going to realise it's not just a soap, I'd go as far as saying that Neighbours in the UK is a cult show, like Star Trek or Doctor Who, it's just not got past the point that it's uncool to admit you're a fan.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
User avatar
RamsayStreet
 
Posts: 21756
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Shamrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 pm

RamsayStreet wrote:I think that's why they're promoting Adele's visit so much, if an International artist like her visits Ramsay Street then Viacom are going to realise it's not just a soap, I'd go as far as saying that Neighbours in the UK is a cult show, like Star Trek or Doctor Who, it's just not got past the point that it's uncool to admit you're a fan.


Exactly. Her visit couldn't have come at a better time. If one the world's biggest stars 'gets' the show then they do need to consider the value of it and think about its appeal.

I don't envy Viacom because as much as we love it, it is such a strange blend (nudge wink etc) of a show. You'd see the glossy, sunny look, all the pretty younger cast and the focus on their relationships, and naturally assume it was a teeny soap opera. Then when you look again, there's such a comic edge and all the older characters aren't just there to be parents. They're actual characters with love lives, jobs and relationships and every bit as important to the show as the younger cast, if not moreso. It must look baffling but that's why it works.
User avatar
Shamrock
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16641
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:29 pm

RamsayStreet wrote:I'd go as far as saying that Neighbours in the UK is a cult show, like Star Trek or Doctor Who, it's just not got past the point that it's uncool to admit you're a fan.


I agree with this. I'm quite open about my fandom of Neighbours but that wasn't always the case - and it's surprising when you find out how many people watch the show. I know at least 3 people at work who watch it among others. I really think the Adele thing couldn't have come at a better time. She's one of the biggest superstars in the world right now. I'm sure that must work in the show's favour and also the fact that Neighbours is much more popular than Home and Away and Viacom will know that.
User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby RamsayStreet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:17 am

Shamrock wrote:
RamsayStreet wrote:I think that's why they're promoting Adele's visit so much, if an International artist like her visits Ramsay Street then Viacom are going to realise it's not just a soap, I'd go as far as saying that Neighbours in the UK is a cult show, like Star Trek or Doctor Who, it's just not got past the point that it's uncool to admit you're a fan.


Exactly. Her visit couldn't have come at a better time. If one the world's biggest stars 'gets' the show then they do need to consider the value of it and think about its appeal.

I don't envy Viacom because as much as we love it, it is such a strange blend (nudge wink etc) of a show. You'd see the glossy, sunny look, all the pretty younger cast and the focus on their relationships, and naturally assume it was a teeny soap opera. Then when you look again, there's such a comic edge and all the older characters aren't just there to be parents. They're actual characters with love lives, jobs and relationships and every bit as important to the show as the younger cast, if not moreso. It must look baffling but that's why it works.


That's right and the times the show doesn't work are the times they forget that and focus too heavily on one group or that really odd period around 2009 when the show made the older cast just parents as they were influenced to cater to the core demographic in Australia.
As much as we say that the UK keeps the show on air, I think the UK keeps the show Neighbours, even going back all the way to 1996 when the BBC requested Madge & Harold's return, whenever the show deviates from it's original path too much it's the UK network & viewers that seem to pull the show back into the right orbit.
I think that's down to the two Regs really and them having lived in the UK, they took what worked on Coronation Street, put it in a sunny climate in a wealthy suburb and made the characters Australian, so you have those core character types of Corrie - early Madge for example was Annie Walker before they toned down her poshness, Paul is Ken Barlow - the child born & raised on the same street who always wants more but is always drawn back home, but rather than the English stiff upper lip they have the Australian attitude which gives it all a lighter touch.

Even if Neighbours were to survive without a UK broadcaster, I'm not sure it would be Neighbours.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
User avatar
RamsayStreet
 
Posts: 21756
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby DahlTheGalah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 am

Well I'm sure once Viacom see the huge amount of press this has generated it may make them think again & show just how important the show is to the UK... But even if they do agree a new contract, I have a feeling they will not be prepared to pay what Fremantle are asking & we could see big cutbacks again, like when Dirty Desmond took over Channel 5 & refused to pay what Fremantle had been paying for its own show... :/
User avatar
DahlTheGalah
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:44 pm
Location: St Paul's Bay Malta

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:28 pm

https://www.change.org/p/channel-5-keep ... e_petition

Over 20,000 people have signed the petition to save Neighbours, please sign if you haven't already and share on Facebook/Twitter etc so people are aware of the petition.

Many thanks :)
User avatar
EdwardSkylover
 
Posts: 9473
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Karl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:44 am

User avatar
Karl
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:47 pm
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby Karl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:09 am

The start date is the 20th according to OutTv. https://www.instagram.com/p/BShYX6nAgMp/

Spoiler:
Isn't there a new family arriving that day?
User avatar
Karl
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:47 pm
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Neighbours Talk