Neighbours could be in trouble

Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby EdwardSkylover » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... reens.html

Really hope there's no truth in this :/ What do you guys think?
EdwardSkylover

Re: Neighbours could be in trouble

Postby project90 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:27 am

if worst come to worst you guys can just watch it online right?
project90

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 am

I think this could be it. If its not bought by a UK broadcaster, its over - Neighbours is long past its sell by date in Australia, they just don't want or need it. The viewing figures are terrible, i know from being over there for a prolonged period, its just not something that has an impact. I'd say they would have cancelled it years ago where it not for the UK. And now if they're getting greedy again and wanting an extortionate amount of money, it'll likely just wrap up.
I'm trying to be realistic and practical about it - we have had a bloody good run and I guess nothing lasts forever.
Mark

Postby RamsayStreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:16 am

This is the thing, I remember hearing on a report around the 30th in Australia that currently Neighbours is already in profit before it airs in Australia due to the overseas sales, so if you take away the UK, suddenly they're relying on viewing figures & advertising sales in Australia, which won't sustain it.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby Aliman1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 am

I think if Channel 5 were to walk away, then Fremantle would have to lower the price, at which point the likes of Channel 4 and some of the satellite channels (Sky 1) could become interested. I wouldn't wory about Neighbours falling off our screens just yet.
Aliman1

Postby rockfenris2005 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51 am

If it was to end, I wonder how they'd do it. Lowkey, just another day in Ramsay Street, or a big massive finale with heaps of returnees? I tremble at the thought of Karl, Susan, Toadie, Paul, just going away. That is not right. This is probably going to sound nuts, but to lose Susan onscreen at this point for me, would be like the Aussie TV equivalent of Queen Elizabeth dying.
rockfenris2005

Postby RobinsonSreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 am

I think The BBC And ITV would be interested. I don't know if that's a good thing.
RobinsonSreet

Postby RamsayStreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:22 pm

RobinsonSreet wrote:I think The BBC And ITV would be interested. I don't know if that's a good thing.

The BBC aren't in a position to bid, they're outsourcing their current productions, including Songs of Praise to cut costs.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby EdwardSkylover » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 pm

People are saying Channel 4 and I could see it on there. Anything's better than losing it.

The reports are saying the '8 year deal' well that would have come up for renewal in 2016 so why is this news coming about now?
EdwardSkylover

Postby EdwardSkylover » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Petition, please sign guys to show our support!

https://www.change.org/p/channel-5-keep ... s-on-uk-tv
EdwardSkylover

Next

Return to Neighbours Talk