The Neighbours Hall of Fame

The Neighbours Hall of Fame

Postby SamH » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Ok, its a bit American, but if there was such a thing as a Hall of Fame for the show, who would you induct first?

Generally the rules for eligibility to a Hall of Fame is that the character/actor must have left the show for a certain period of time (say 2 years+) so you couldn't add any current characters or say, Lou who didn't leave that long ago. Sporadic short term re-appearances wouldn't prevent eligibility though, it's just when they are still a permanent cast member.

As for how you assess if someone qualifies, I guess it's about their contribution to the show - how memorable was the character, how many big storylines were they in, did you have a strong emotional bond to them.

I would start the Hall of Fame off with Harold and Madge Bishop, entering together.

Who would you add, bearing in mind it shouldn't be over-crowded and only the very best should get a place! :D
SamH

Re: The Neighbours Hall of Fame

Postby RamsayStreet » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

I'd say the first would have to be Anne Haddy/Helen, she was at the heart of Neighbours for the first 12 years and almost 20 years since she left her absence is still felt.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby rnd452 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:02 pm

I second the vote for Helen.

My next choice would be Mrs. Nell Mangel. The original "noisy neighbour". For proof, who would have thought she'd have a baby kind of named after her when she'd been off the street for so long?
rnd452

Postby project90 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Harold was first person came mind for me

My next choice going say Izzy she wasn't around that long compared to other grates but she did so much in her time. She one best villains show had but could feel sorry for her at same time and knew how desperate for love and how insecure she was humanlize her could understand motivation behind actions and from memory she didn't change to much from arrival to leaving rare for character to keep true so how they first written make me glad she wasn't around too long if she still in it today bet she be written very different
project90

Postby BrownEyedGirl » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:14 pm

I guess Scott and Charlene spring to mind.

The first sweethearts of the street.

Who can forget the Angry Anderson song playing at their wedding.
BrownEyedGirl

Postby SamH » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:03 pm

All worthy so far I think! Jim Robinson possibly as well. It's interesting how most of these are characters from the early days of the show. I mean ok when they eventually leave you'd probably (definitely) add Karl, Susan, Paul and Toadie but no one who left over the last 10 years is really springing to mind apart from Harold.
SamH

Postby project90 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:21 am

Lucy :) I never saw her on her hay day but have enjoyed her regular returns over last 3 years and as a recurring visitor she bring some realism to it in real life you do have family members who pop in and visit a few times a year. I'm sure more old school viewers could add to why she awesome

same can be said about Hilary i enjoy her my only complaint really is it not more she lives local can see her working regular or at lease regular recurring
project90

Postby Fansincethe80s » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:11 pm

I'd add three if I may..

Joe Mangel, for the comedy he brought to the show and the more serious storylines that he did excellently, such as Kerry's death and reuniting with his mother.

Kerry Bishop was brilliant. I loved her free spirit and she interacted with most of the cast at one time or another. Her death was tragic.

Then I'd say Des, for his loss of Daphne and the surrounding storylines. i believe he has a memorable character but one who was quite unlucky on occasions. He did remarry off screen but its been mentioned that it didn't last and he went into depression and had a mental breakdown. I would kind of like to see him get a happy ending and complete his story.
Fansincethe80s

Postby Freddie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:32 pm

I would add:

Libby Kennedy and Paul Robinson, two characters who have had such a huge contribution on where the show is today. It would be nice to see Libby return and renew her friendships with Steph and Toadie, and she would slot nicely back into the Kennedy fold. As for Paul, what can you say? He has been involved in so many key storylines since his return in 2004, and I hope he stays for a few more years yet.
Freddie

Postby SamH » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Ah, but if you read the rules, they have to be off the show for good (apart from the odd temporary return) to qualify! So Karl, Susan, Paul, Toadie and Steph are all currently ineligible but what you would call as 'sure fire hall of famers' in the future. :mrgreen:

Definitely Libby though, and I would also have to add Izzy just for the sheer impact she made even though she wasn't on the show all that long.
SamH

Next

Return to Neighbours Talk