The Neighbours Hall of Fame

Re: The Neighbours Hall of Fame

Postby stew23 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Ignoring the rule of excluding characters who are still on screen, here are the 13 characters I believe to be the most important to the show's 33 season history, thus deserving a place in the Neighbours Hall of Fame:

• Helen Daniels
  • Jim Robinson
  • Madge Bishop
  • Harold Bishop
  • Paul Robinson
  • Lou Carpenter
  • Karl Kennedy
  • Susan Kennedy
  • Jarrod Rebbechi
  • Libby Kennedy
  • Tad Reeves
  • Stephanie Scully
  • Lynette Scully
stew23

Postby SamH » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:51 pm

I would put Sonya ahead of Lyn. Being on the show for many years doesn't make you an automatic 'hall of famer' and I don't think Lyn ever brought much to the show, she just hung around a long time (and as we see now, is still popping up from time to time!)

Bit surprised by seeing Tad on your list too - what are the reasons for that?

I agree with the others though and would also add Lucas in. I think he played an important role in his time on the show and is still an unseen presence now what with owning the garage and his connection with Steph/Adam. I think when you consider if a character is hall of fame worthy you have to look at what impact they made or continue to make on the show and I think Lucas achieved more than most with continuing impact now.
SamH

Postby stew23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:15 pm

SamH wrote:I would put Sonya ahead of Lyn. Being on the show for many years doesn't make you an automatic 'hall of famer' and I don't think Lyn ever brought much to the show, she just hung around a long time (and as we see now, is still popping up from time to time!)
That's a fair call. In hindsight I'd probably remove her from that top echelon of characters I listed. Not to suggest she's not important, but she might fit a bit better in that next list.
Bit surprised by seeing Tad on your list too - what are the reasons for that?
Just making sure people are paying attention :P I threw him in as a joke to see if people would notice.
I agree with the others though and would also add Lucas in. I think he played an important role in his time on the show and is still an unseen presence now what with owning the garage and his connection with Steph/Adam. I think when you consider if a character is hall of fame worthy you have to look at what impact they made or continue to make on the show and I think Lucas achieved more than most with continuing impact now.
That's another decent point re: Lucas. Probably still hard to include him and Sonya in that top list though (but I get where you're coming from). Then you've got classic characters like Charlene, Scott, Henry, Joe Mangel, Dee, etc.
stew23

Postby RamsayStreet » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Lucas has appeared for 10 years, albeit not regularly for quite a few now, but we’d have counted Lou.
"The reason why Neighbours has flourished for so long is that at the heart of it there are people who care for one another." J Woodburne

Neighbours, squashed tomatoes and potatoes, with Harold in the kitchen, you can find the Perfect Blend
RamsayStreet

Postby SamH » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Well to be fair Lou was always a shoo-in for any list like this anyway, surely? Not only for his longevity but up until the point of Harold leaving, he was a major character in the show. I hated seeing his role reduced so much but was delighted when they finally revived him somewhat by bringing the Turners in.

Anyway glad to see you weren't serious about Tad, Stew! :mrgreen: If anything I'd pick Stingray over him but I think that's pushing it. You can easily start to devalue something that is meant to honor only the very best when you begin to let second tier people in. I do think Scott, Charlene, Joe and Henry all belong though - again it isn't always about length of service but impact. Which is why I think Mrs Mangel is also a shoo-in and possibly Bouncer too. People in their 40s still make stupid comments even now like "Is Mrs Mangel still in it? What about Bouncer?" but that goes to show how much of an impact they made on those people when they watched the show! :D
SamH

Postby elmparkstick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 am

For me he was unforgettable, the brilliant Max Ramsay. I think Francis Bell was fired because of some pay dispute rubbish? I always hoped he'd return until the sad news of Francis Bell's death.
elmparkstick

Postby Holger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 am

My vote would go towards Daphne, the owner of the original coffee shop, beloved wife of Des and mother of Jamie.
Holger

Previous

Return to Neighbours Talk